The assignment was a 3-D self-portrait of oneself in a scene of something the student did. Robyn picked basketball. It was displayed in the SMS hallway.
I took a series of photographs at different angles, used gimp to remove the background, hugin to align the images, then gimp to produce the final animated gif. No doubt my part could be much improved, but I time-boxed only 2 hours and it took 4. Fun learning for me and I’m proud of her.
My PhD thesis has been languishing on my computer in Word format since 1993. Every once in a while I’d mess with converting it to pdf, but my computer horsepower was a bit weak and the conversion had problems. Well I finally tried again and the result is good enough to release. There are lots of little problems: (1) The page numbers in the Table of Contents aren’t quite right. The chart symbols are screwed up (you’ll see letters when you should see shapes), and some of the complex pictures are off. But hey, good enough.
The subject is designing distillation columns with optimum safety factors.
Download the pdf here